Faced with the challenge of properly cleaning up contaminated sites in a timely manner, the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) worked closely with the State Legislature and stakeholders to develop legislation that dramatically altered the process for conducting environmental investigations and cleanups.
In May 2009, the Governor signed the Site Remediation Reform Act (SRRA) into the law. SRRA provides significant legal and administrative changes to the way in which sites are cleaned up by establishing a licensing program for Site Remediation Professionals (LSRP) who have responsibility for oversight of environmental investigation and cleanups. The LSRP’s highest priority is protection of public health, safety and the environment. Although the law changes the administrative process, it maintains the existing NJDEP clean-up standards. NJDEP continues to have final authority over the clean-up process by requiring that remediating parties to comply with applicable regulations, but the day-to-day management of cleanups is overseen by LSRPs. Under SRRA, cleanup of contaminated sites proceeds more quickly, providing a greater measure of environmental protection to the citizens of New Jersey. Contaminated, underutilized properties can be redeveloped to the benefit of the local communities.
ECOTERRA has an LSRP on staff and provides the following LSRP services:
- Preparation of LSRP retention forms and submittal to NJDEP;
- Development and self-approval of remedial investigation scopes of work to enable moving the project forward to the remedial action phase within faster timeframes;
- Preparation of all applicable forms during the site remediation process for submittal to NJDEP, including, but not limited to
- ISRA General Information Notice (GIN)
- Preliminary Assessment (PA)
- Site Investigation (SI)
- Receptor evaluations
- Vapor Intrusion
- Remedial Action Work Plans
- Remedial Action Permits
- Issuance of a Response Action Outcome (RAO) for case closure based on the LSRP’s determination and evaluation of all compliance